Will Cole Hamels ever be a legitimate #1 starter? Will he ever be the opening day starter for the Phillies? The past two years 'Bad Load' Brett Myers was annointed the opening day starter and now for the next three years Halladay will rightfully get the nod. My contention is that Cole does not have the makeup to be a true #1 right now.
Hamels obviously has the stuff to be a #1, but I question his mental makeup. I have made up a list of a few criteria I consider essential for an ace:
1. The ability to consistently dominate a game. Not just occasionally but with regularity. This is a necessity.
2. Mental toughness. An Ace must be able to step it up during big games. He must have no fear when he steps on the rubber at any time.
3. On the flip side, he should be intimidating to opposing hitters. They should be afraid. Or if not afraid, there should be some type of mental edge that the pitcher has on them.
4. The most important criteria: They should win, win, win. A low ERA with a 14-14 record does not make one an Ace.
5. Some longevity at the above criteria.